History of production of BSA brand motorcycle began in 1692, since the reign of King William III. At the time, the British had to realize the purchases of weapons from the Netherlands and William III signed an agreement with five Birmingham gunsmiths. A few years later, the Birmingham Small Arms dealers association was organized. In 1861 it was renamed to the Birmingham Small Arms Company.
Two years later it was established a small plant in Small Heath. BSA Company was established on the base of the plant. However the first bikes were produced as may as 17 years later. In 1881, the company began first independent project. The production had been again focused on the gun for the next 12 years. But in 1893, the company decided to return to the manufacturing of components and spare parts for bicycles and later to the production of motorcycles. It lasted ten years. The BSA Company began its own motorcycle assembly in 1903. It was built on the base spare parts, which were supplied by different suppliers. For example, the engines were purchased at the Belgian “Minerva” company. But actually its own motorcycle was created in 1909. Its production lasted until the beginning of World War II.
The production of BSA C15 was launched in 1958, when the company began manufacturing of single-cylinder motorcycle with overhead valve engine. This motorcycle was originally designed as a model for the suburbs.
It was very popular bike, because the high reliability and efficiency, as well as low cost and easy maintenance. At the time, a 250cc was the largest bike capacity and the C15 model was attractive to riders with provisional licenses. But it was later replaced by another bike B25 Barracuda. Since 1965, the company has produced many models BSA of sports orientation. These are “A65R“, “Cyclone“ and “Lightning“ models , which were send to the domestic market and the “Wasp” and “Hornet” models for export. In 1965, there was also a Spitfire Mk II, together with the Mk III and Mk IV modifications. However they were withdrawn from the serial production in 1969.